"Call that a demo?"

Well, no, actually.

I have received several messages through YouTube from people complaining about the lack of thoroughness in my 'demos'. The specific complaint is that I don't (always) make a point of methodically sweeping each control through its entire range to show everything it can do.

Personally, I find those kind of 'demos' a bit boring and not always representative of how a pedal would sound, or be used in a real life situation.

When making the videos I tend to play around with the pedal and try to find sounds that I like. After recording between 5 and 10 minutes of material (depending on the complexity and versatility of the pedal), I'll edit the video (I try to keep the videos fairly short), picking out what I think are the best sounds OR a selection of sounds which I think best show the range of the pedal. That's it.

Some of the much-appreciated constructive criticism I've received has included such insights as "Call that a demo?" and "Why did you even bother?" about one of my DOD Vibrothang videos.

Helpfully, in response to my video for the Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer, I was called a "stupid guitarist" for recording the pedal in mono. Given that 96.3% of guitarists* play in mono, I thought it was sensible to record it that way.

*64.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.


Anyway, with regards to my videos, I don't think of them as "demos" as much as I think of them as companion pieces to this blog. And they're not so much full demonstrations as they are teasers, like a trailer for a film.

In other words, watching my videos will show just some of what the pedal is capable of. Hopefully my videos include enough to help you decide whether you want to try the pedal for yourself, but you can rest assured that if you do, there is usually plenty more to be discovered.